Posts

On This Day In History: May 13

In 1882, the former London Orphan Asylum was opened as The Salvation Army Clapton Congress Hall. After renovations, the massive hall could seat more than 4,500 people! The Salvation Army called it their “National Barracks” as the Army used its wings as training barracks for 300 male and female cadets with classrooms on the ground floor, workrooms below, and bedrooms above. The Clapton Congress Hall was used by The Salvation Army for 87 years until 1970 when a new citadel was built on Lower Clapton Road.

513-Salvation-Congress-Hall